Sunday 25 January 2009

Postcard from Bangkok




We are well settled in on the Khaosan Road in Bangkok. All fairly relaxing though we do one touristy thing a day. Yesterday we walked to the Grand Palace - not very far but seemed like a long way in the heat. Things in Bangkok don't change much - there are the usual tourist scams. On our way to the Grand Palace two different people told us it was closed. They do this so that they can be your guide and take you somewhere else. And tuk-tuk drivers seem to all be rogues - worse than the taxi drivers but they are bad too. We bargained with a tuk-tuk driver yesterday and agreed on a price to take up back to our hotel but then when we got in he said "First I take you to very nice place - good for you and good for me too" We just said no thanks and got out and walked away. We were talking to a young Danish woman that we have got friendly with and she said that she just wished she could get into a taxi and go somewhere without it being a battle. We know how she feels.

This morning we went to a temple called Wat Suket which is on an artificial "mountain" called Golden Mount. Nice breezy climb up and lovely views of the city. Lots of Thais there worshipping. To go inside the actual temple you have to take off your shoes and leave them outside. My Reeboks look new and I was reluctant to leave them on the steps with all the others (having just seen Slumdog Millionaire!) so put them in my bag. I told Bill nobody would want his 'cos they look so scruffy.

Some New Year celebrations are going on - fireworks and burning offerings in the street.

Last night in the restaurant we were talking about things we had lost or had stolen on holiday. Jenny the Danish lass outdid us by having lost a camera that cost 1,000 euros. But when we got back to the hotel I realised I had left my blouse on the back of the chair. Poor Bill walked back to get it for me.

Off to Cambodia tomorrow - new territory for us.

No comments: